Cardiologists, heart surgeons and other members of our healthcare team who specialize in treating congenital heart disease will work together to determine your best treatment options.
Congenital heart disease is often treated during childhood and can include surgical and non-surgical options. If the condition is not severe, or if the patient is not experiencing any symptoms, treatment may not be needed until adulthood. Some congenital heart diseases require no treatment.
An adult cardiologist who specializes in congenital heart disease will evaluate your condition and determine a plan of care. During your visit with an adult cardiologist, you can expect the following:
- A detailed history and physical examination.
- An electrocardiogram and echocardiogram the day of your visit.
- Further testing, as indicated, will be discussed and arranged.
- You will be provided with a comprehensive description of your congenital heart defect, associated issues and treatment options with a physician with expertise in the care of adults with congenital heart disease.
- Educational materials and available online advocacy groups will also be provided.
Back to Top