Preventive Cardiology and Heart Disease
Preventive Cardiology within Cardiac Services at North Shore-LIJ specializes in the early detection, treatment and prevention of heart disease. Our staff of renowned cardiologists and healthcare professionals provides a full spectrum of state-of-the-art preventive cardiology services designed to:
- Prevent the occurrence and/or progression of cardiovascular diseases
- Reduce the risk of heart disease, heart attack or stroke
- Reduce the need for cardiac surgery
- Provide comprehensive heart disease risk assessment and treatment options including nutritional assessment, lifestyle counseling and, when necessary, medication or other interventions to improve overall health.
Women and Heart Disease
Although many people still think of heart disease as a man's problem, more women are diagnosed with heart disease and coronary artery disease every year. In fact, heart disease is now the number-one killer of women in the United States. The risk of heart disease rises the older a woman gets. Women of all ages should take steps to prevent it by practicing healthy lifestyle habits.
Community Outreach Preventive Cardiology Services
Our Preventive Cardiology staff reaches out into local communities with free educational services to promote awareness and the prevention of heart disease.
Free Community Health Screenings
We offer free community health screenings during which our healthcare team can meet with members of the community to discuss the importance of preventive cardiology and answer questions. Some examples of discussion topics are:
- how to lower your cholesterol
- what your blood pressure numbers mean
- what you can do to maintain a healthy heart
Depending on the location and setting of the health screenings, free blood-pressure screening and personal consultations/evaluations are available.
Community Educational Programs and Lectures
The North Shore-LIJ Health System offers free educational programs and lectures by our senior healthcare professionals. These programs are geared towards the questions and concerns of the attending community members.
To arrange for a customized screening or lecture program in your community, call (855) HEART-11 or (855) 432 -7811.
Our cardiologists collaborate with other specialists to provide comprehensive care to our patients. Our multi-disciplinary approach can include:
Back to Top
- Imaging / Radiology
- Home Care
- Women’s Health