Suggested Resources for Children and Parents
Reading books can be a great way to help prepare you and your child for the surgical experience. Below is a list of books by age group that we find helpful for many families.
Ages 2 to 4 years
- My Trip to the Hospital by Mercer Mayer
- Elmo's World: Doctors! by Naomi Kleinberg and Marybeth Nelson
Ages 4 to 8 years
- Franklin Goes to the Hospital by Paulette Bourgeois and Brenda Clark
- A Visit to the Sesame Street Hospital by Deborah Hautzig, Dan Elliot, and Joseph Mathew
- Curious George Goes to the Hospital by Margret and H.A. Rey
- This is a Hospital Not a Zoo by Roberta Karim, Sue Truesdell, and Arthur Howard
- Going to the Hospital by Anne Civardi, Michelle Bates, and Stephen Cartwright
- Do I Have to go to the Hospital? by Pat Thomas and Lesley Harker
Ages 6 to 10 years
- Goodbye Tonsils! by Juliana Hatkoff, Craig Hatkoff and Marilyn Mets
Ages 12 years and Up
- What is it Like to Have Surgery? by TeensHealth (go to:
Go to http://kidshealth.org/teen/your_body/medical_care/having_sugery.html
- The “O, My” in Tonsillectomy and "Adenoidectomy; How to Prepare Your Child for Surgery, A Parents Manual by Laurie Zelinger Ph.D.
- Preparing Your Child For Surgery by KidsHealth Go to: http://kidshealth.org/parent/system/surgery/hosp_surgery.htm
my child has:
Search for a Condition or Treatment below.