Comprehensive Epilepsy Care Center
Epilepsy, or seizure disorder, is a neurological condition which affects the nervous system. If an individual has more than one seizure that is not caused by a known medical condition like alcohol withdrawal or extremely low blood sugar, the condition is considered to be epilepsy. Epilepsy seizures may be the result of a brain injury or a family tendency, but in the majority of cases, the cause of epilepsy is unknown. Seizures are the primary symptom of epilepsy. A seizure is a sudden surge of electrical activity in the brain that usually affects how a person feels or acts for a short time. Epilepsy seizures can be mild and hardly noticed, while others can be totally disabling.
The Comprehensive Epilepsy Care Center at Cushing Neuroscience Institute (CNI) has been one of the major providers of epilepsy care on Long Island and in Queens for over 25 years. Our center has a tradition that encompasses:
- excellent and devoted patient care
- utilization of the most advanced technology for seizure detection and treatment
- ongoing research into the causes, consequences and treatment of epilepsy
The Comprehensive Epilepsy Care Center is a truly integrated and multidisciplinary endeavor, with epilepsy doctors, nurses, pharmacists, neurosurgeons, neuropsychologists, social workers, technical staff and an administrative team, all working together to provide care and support for both adult and pediatric epilepsy patients. Our ultimate mission at the Comprehensive Epilepsy Care Center is to provide seizure freedom for all our patients, as well as to control and alleviate those seizures we cannot completely eradicate and help our patients achieve an active and productive lifestyle.
The Comprehensive Epilepsy Care Center is one of the largest and most comprehensive programs on Long Island for the evaluation and medical and surgical treatment of epilepsy in children and adults. Patients and families who come to our center benefit from a unique and multidisciplinary model of care. We integrate the expertise of our clinical staff and the availability of cutting-edge technology to enable accurate diagnosis, effective treatment and improved quality of life.
Our center's coordinated, multidisciplinary team offers a comprehensive range of skills and knowledge:
- We perform 50-100 epilepsy surgery cases a year.
- One year after epilepsy surgery, 90% of our patients are either seizure-free or have reduced seizures.
- A variety of medical and surgical treatment options for the control and prevention of seizures is used by our epilepsy center clinicians. Treatments are based on an individualized assessment of the nature, type and severity of the patient’s disorder.
- Cutting-edge epilepsy research is used to design state-of-the-art technology for identifying normal and abnormal brain areas.
Make an appointment at our Comprehensive Epilepsy Care Center
Cushing Neuroscience Institute’s Comprehensive Epilepsy Care Center makes it easy for you to take the first steps in ensuring the best neurological care for yourself or your family. Simply email us at email@example.com, call us at (516) 325-7060 or fill out our Request an Appointment form.