Bariatric Surgery Postoperative Diet
You will need to follow a special diet after your surgery that is designed for the bariatric surgery you had. The dietary guidelines will be given to you by a dietitian who you will need to see pre-operatively. It is critical you follow these guidelines. The dietitan has designed the diet to best fit your nutritional needs post-operatively. Non-compliance can lead to serious malnutrition and general poor health.
Below are basic rules for eating, drinking and exercise that will help you get the best results from weight loss surgery:
- Eat only three meals per day.
- Eat slowly and chew thoroughly.
- Stop eating as soon as you feel full.
- Do not drink while you are eating.
- Do not eat between meals.
- Eat only good quality foods.
- Avoid fibrous foods.
- Drink enough fluids during the day, in between meals.
- Drink only low-calorie liquids.
- Exercise at least 30 minutes per day.
- Take your multi-vitamins daily.
- Any weight loss surgery may cause malnutrition and or malabsorption, which may lead to some vitamin/mineral deficiencies. Most common are: B12, iron and protein deficiencies. Supplementation is necessary.
It is critical you see your surgeon for scheduled follow-up visits. At each visit your general health, diet, exercise regime, medications and/or vitamin/mineral supplements will be reviewed. This is also the time you speak with the surgeon about any problems which may be related to your surgery. If you are having problems related to the weight loss surgery, you will be able to discuss them with your doctor. You will also be sent for blood work on a periodic basis.
If you do not come in for your check-ups you will be putting your health at great risk. If you move and it is impossible for you to go to your surgeon's office, you should find another physician who will be able to properly care for you.
Your weight loss will also be monitored, so that you can reach your desired weight loss goal. You may need or want to see the dietician to re-evaluate your diet in order to ensure a good weight loss as well as proper nutrition.