Long Island Jewish Medical Center
The North Shore-LIJ Cancer Institute's Long Island Jewish Medical Center (LIJMC) is situated on the border of Queens and Nassau counties and serves the greater New York metropolitan area. The Cancer Program at LIJMC is accredited by the American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer as a Teaching Hospital Cancer Program and includes adult cancer services at Long Island Jewish Hospital and pediatric cancer services at Steven and Alexandra Cohen Children's Medical Center of New York.
Long Island Jewish Hospital is a 452-bed tertiary adult care hospital with advanced diagnostic and treatment technology. The Cancer Program at Long Island Jewish Hospital encompasses all aspects of advanced cancer care, with nationally and internationally regarded specialists offering comprehensive treatment options.
The Medical Oncology and Hematology Program at Long Island Jewish Hospital includes:
- Advanced treatments for solid tumor cancers such as breast, colon, lung, prostate, head and neck and gynecologic.
- Internationally recognized programs in hematologic malignancies, including the program in Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia Research Program (CLL).
- Ambulatory Chemotherapy and Transfusion Services.
- Palliative and Supportive Oncology care, including pain management services.
The Surgical Specialties at Long Island Jewish Medical Center offer a comprehensive team of experts to treat a wide variety of cancers. We provide:
- Surgical Oncology, utilizing the latest advances and techniques in the management of the common malignancies as well as rare and complex tumors including solid tumors such as breast, colon, rectum, pancreas, liver, stomach, esophagus and soft tissue tumors such as melanomas and sarcomas.
- Thoracic Surgery Services, offering all aspects of thoracic oncology including surgical management of tumors of the lung, esophagus, mediastinum and the chest wall, videoscopic lung resections and minimally invasive esophageal surgery.
- Head and Neck Surgery, providing extensive specialization in head and neck cancer surgery, including microvascular techniques and minimally invasive, ambulatory parathyroid and thyroid surgery.
- Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, with options for breast and craniofacial patients.
The Gynecologic Oncology Program includes:
- The Division of Urogynecology and Pelvic Reconstructive Surgery, the first urogynecology department on Long Island and the largest in New York State, providing comprehensive care for women with gynecologic cancer or with complex gynecologic problems.
The Urologic Oncology Program at The Arthur Smith Institute for Urology includes:
- Treatment of urological cancers through innovative surgical procedures, diagnostics and medical care, including robotic surgery and other advanced technologies.
Long Island Jewish Medical Center’s Department of Radiation Medicine is a comprehensive radiation facility serving Long Island and Queens and includes:
- Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT)
- Image Guided Radiation Therapy (IGRT), Organ Tracking (Calypso and AlignRT)
- Permanent Prostate Seed Implants
- Brachytherapy, high dose and low dose
- MammoSite Treatment
- MicroSphere Interventional Radiation therapy
- Pediatric Radiation Therapy
- Novalis Stereotactic Radiosurgery
Additionally, Patient Support Services offer extensive and comprehensive programs designed to assist patients with their anxieties and other debilitating issues related to their condition. Some of the programs include:
- Support groups
- Individual and family counseling
- Nutritional evaluation and counseling
- Wellness program referrals