North Shore University Hospital - The Sandra Atlas Bass Campus
North Shore University Hospital in Manhasset is a tertiary care facility with 731 beds and a staff of approximately 2,700 specialist and sub-specialist physicians. It is also an academic campus for the New York University School of Medicine.
A part of the North Shore-LIJ Cancer Institute, North Shore University Hospital was named the nation’s top hospital by AARP’s Modern Maturity magazine. The Cancer Program is approved by the American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer as a Teaching Hospital Cancer Program.
The Don Monti Division of Medical Oncology/Hematology cares for more cancer patients than all other Long Island hospitals combined. Among the highlights of the Cancer Program are: the only FACT-accredited adult bone marrow transplant program on Long Island and Queens, major programs in hematologic malignancies, such as leukemias, lymphomas and myelodysplastic syndromes, and solid tumor surgery oncology programs for breast, lung, colon, prostate, melanoma and gynecologic cancers.
The Division of Surgical Oncology’s specialists are experts in the management of rare and complex tumors as well as the common malignancies. A multimodality approach to the management of tumors is used and includes surgery as well as radiation and chemotherapy, when appropriate.
The Division of Gynecological Oncology manages a variety of female reproductive cancers and offers comprehensive care for women with gynecologic cancers or with complex gynecologic problems. The multimodality approach continues, employing the Division of Gynecological Oncology for surgical management, the Department of Radiation Oncology for patients who require radiation therapy and the Don Monti Division of Medical Oncology for those patients needing chemotherapy.
Urologic Oncology at The Arthur Smith Institute for Urology offers treatment of urological cancers through innovative surgical procedures, diagnostics and medical care, providing expertise in robotic surgery and other advanced technologies.
The Thoracic Surgery Program offers all aspects of thoracic oncology intervention including the surgical management of tumors of the lung, esophagus, mediastinum and chest wall, videoscopic lung resections and minimally invasive esophageal surgery.
The Department of Radiation Medicine Services include:
- Diagnostic Imaging Services including Advanced Breast Biopsy Imaging, Bone Scan, CT Scan, Magnetic Resonance Imaging, Positron Emission Tomography (PET), Stereotactic Breast Biopsy, Ultrasound
- Services such as External Beam Therapy, Brachytherapy, Radioactive Seed Implantation, Stereotactic Radiosurgery, Novalis
- Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT)
- Image Guided Radiation Therapy (IGRT), Organ Tracking (Calypso and AlignRT)
- Permanent Prostate Seed Implants
- Brachytherapy, high dose and low dose
- MammoSite Treatment
- MicroSphere Interventional Radiation therapy
- Pediatric Radiation Therapy
- Novalis Stereotactic Radiosurgery
The Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Services includes:
- Reconstructive surgery options for breast and craniofacial patients.
North Shore University Hospital’s Patient Support Services include:
- Support groups
- Individual and family counseling
- Nutritional evaluation and counseling
- Wellness program referrals