Multiple Sclerosis Treatments
Multiple sclerosis (MS) is caused by damage to the myelin sheath, the protective covering that surrounds nerve cells. When this nerve covering is damaged, nerve impulses are slowed down or stopped. MS is a progressive disease, meaning that the nerve damage, or neurodegeneration, gets worse over time. How quickly multiple sclerosis worsens will vary from person to person.
The Multiple Sclerosis Center at North Shore-LIJ Health System's Cushing Neuroscience Institute provides comprehensive multiple sclerosis treatments, rehabilitation, ongoing education and psychosocial support in an effort to empower our patients and their families.
There is no known cure for multiple sclerosis at this time. However, there are therapies which may slow the disease. The goal of treatments at the Multiple Sclerosis Center is to help control the symptoms so that our patients can maintain the highest possible quality of life.
The Multiple Sclerosis Center offers the following rehabilitation treatments and services for multiple sclerosis patients:
- Bracing – an assistive device, such as a leg brace, to help manage the symptoms of MS
- Gait Evaluation – allows a physician to study a gait disturbance in the way a patient walks and pinpoint possible weaknesses and causes
- Physical therapy – evaluation and treatment to help prevent injury or recover from a disability
- Occupational therapy – promotes health by enabling people to perform meaningful and purposeful activities
- Speech and language therapy – treatment designed to help patients regain and increase their ability to communicate
- Wheel chair seating, positioning, and mobility devices
- Vocational Rehabilitation – provides training in a specific trade with the aim of gaining employment
Education and support services at the Multiple Sclerosis Center include:
- Individual education and counseling
- Visiting nurse referrals
- Linkages with community resources
- Professional and peer-led support groups
- Family support conferences
- Referrals to:
Make an appointment at the Multiple Sclerosis Center:
Cushing Neuroscience Institute’s Multiple Sclerosis Center makes it easy for you to take the first steps in ensuring the best neurological and neurosurgical care for yourself or your family. Simply fill out our Request an Appointment form, email us at email@example.com or call us at (516) 393-8936.