Traumatic Brain Injury Treatment, Rehab
The expert team of neurosurgeons and neurologists at North Shore-LIJ's Traumatic Brain Injury Center will design a personalized traumatic brain injury treatment program for each patient to ensure maximum recovery from sudden brain trauma.
Traumatic brain injury treatment plans are individualized, depending on the extent of the condition and the presence of other injuries. Head injury patients may require monitoring for increased intracranial pressure (pressure inside the skull). Head injury may also cause the brain to swell. Since the brain is covered by the skull, there is only a small amount of room for it to swell. This swelling can cause pressure inside the skull to increase, which can lead to brain damage. In such cases, certain patients may require decompression of the skull to provide greater room for swelling.
Specific treatment of a traumatic brain injury will be determined by the physician based on these factors:
- Age, overall health and medical history of the patient
- Extent of the head injury
- Type of head injury
- Patient's tolerance for specific medications, procedures or therapies
- Expectations for the course of the head injury
- Patient's opinion or preference
Depending on the severity of the traumatic brain injury, treatment may include:
- Diagnostic tests
- Immediate medical attention
- Hospitalization for observation
- Topical antibiotic ointment and adhesive bandage
Some patients may require our brain injury rehab services. For more information, click on the inpatient or outpatient directories below:
- Directory of inpatient brain injury rehab services
- Directory of outpatient brain injury rehab services
Make an appointment at our Traumatic Brain Injury Center
Cushing Neuroscience Institute makes it easy for you to take the first steps in ensuring the best neurological care for yourself or your family. Simply click on Request an Appointment, call us at (516) 562-3816 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.