Department of Emergency Medicine
Steven and Alexandra Cohen Children's Medical Center of NY
Over the course of one year, the Emergency Medicine Department at Steven and Alexandra Cohen Children's Medical Center of New York in New Hyde Park, NY, sees approximately 37,000 pediatric patients. As a tertiary care center, we care for the most complicated cases, as well as all routine emergency and urgent care patients. Our facilities are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
To reach the Emergency Department at Cohen Children's Medical Center of NY, call (718) 470-7640.
We have many advanced programs and resources in place to ensure that our patients get state-of-the-art care for virtually any illness or injury:
- Pediatric Emergency Medicine Specialists – The 16 examination rooms at our Emergency Department are staffed 24 hours every day by physicians who are specialty-trained in Pediatric Emergency Medicine and nurses with focused training in Pediatric Emergency Medicine.
- Regional Pediatric Trauma Center – We are the first regional pediatric trauma center in the entire downstate/Long Island region and one of only three such centers in all of New York state to receive this designation. The staff of Cohen Children's Medical Center considers this a sacred trust, and we remain dedicated to setting the standard for pediatric trauma care in New York.
- Academic Tertiary Care Center – This designation means that you can expect the highest quality emergency care available from experts who are renowned in their field. Our senior physicians participate in scholarly research activities, teach at the Hofstra North Shore-LIJ School of Medicine and provide supervision for doctors in training (residents). Learn more about our Emergency Medicine academic programs for residents.
- Coming Soon! A 36-bed state-of-the-art Pediatric Emergency Department is currently under construction within our new Children’s Hospital and is on target for an early 2013 opening.
For more information about the Department of Emergency Medicine at Cohen Children's Medical Center, contact our Nursing Director Dina Ciccillini, RN, MBA or one of our Chairmen at (718) 470-7501:
Andrew E. Sama, MD, FACEP
Chairman, Emergency Medicine
Long Island Jewish Medical Center, Cohen’s Children’s Medical Center
Jahn Avarello, MD
Interim Chief, Pediatric Emergency Medicine
Cohen’s Children’s Medical Center
- Andrew E Sama, MD
- Joshua Adam Rocker, MD
- Jahn T Avarello, MD
- Francesca Maria Bullaro, MD
- Diana Lynn Crevi, MD
- Kimberly Alison Giusto, MD
- Robert Francis Gochman, MD
- Eric Christopher Hoppa, MD
- Amanda Jean Kasem, MD
- Nafis Ahmad Khan, MBBS
- William Isaac Krief, MD
- Justin Ashley LaCorte, DO
- Susan Meekyung Lee Chan, MD
- Michael David Preis, DO
- Monica Chandra Shekher-Kapoor, MD
- Monica Kapoor, MD
- Philomena Mathew Thomas, MBBS
- Isabel A Barata, MD
Our location on the Nassau-Queens border in New Hyde Park, Long Island, NY, makes it easy for both Long Island and New York City residents to benefit from the highest standards of emergency care. We welcome your inquiries and comments.