New York State Safe Kids, led by North Shore-LIJ Health System, is a member of the Safe Kids USA organization based in Washington, DC. The mission of Safe Kids is to reduce the number one cause of injuries and deaths in children 14 years and under: accidents.
Safe Kids educates adults and children in pedestrian/motor vehicle, falls, poisoning, fire/burn and bicycle/sports safety – the five leading risk areas to children in New York State.
Child Car-Seat Fitting Stations
Did you know that four out of five car seats are installed incorrectly? Make sure yours is not one of them. Our child safety-seat checkup events and child safety-seat inspection stations will teach you how to transport your child safely.
Have your car seat checked by a safety specialist, who can answer the following questions:
- Why doesn’t my car seat stay tight in the car?
- My child can climb out of the car seat – what can I do?
- Has my child’s car seat been recalled?
- When can I turn my baby’s car seat around to face forward?
Fitting Station Locations:
Steven and Alexandra Cohen Children's Medical Center of New York
269-01 76th Avenue
New Hyde Park, NY 11040
Appointment required – please call (718) 470-3352
888 Old Country Road
Plainview, NY 11803
Appointment required – please call (516) 719-2613
Keeping the streets safe from traffic dangers is achieved through the efforts of drivers, parents and children. Safe Kids offers several traffic safety resources to help you keep your kids safe, as well as the following programs:
- Walk This Way: Safe Kids Worldwide and program sponsor FedEx created Safe Kids Walk This Way to teach safe behavior to motorists and child pedestrians and create safer, more walkable communities.
- Spot the Tot: Many preventable injuries and deaths occur in driveways or parking lots because of "backover" or "frontover" incidents when drivers are unaware children are near vehicles. Visit Spot the Tot for more information.
- Safe Routes to School: Safe Routes to School (SRTS) is a federal, state and local effort to enable and encourage children, including those with disabilities, to walk and bicycle to school and to make walking and bicycling to school safe and appealing.
Young children are at risk for injuries due to falls because they are still developing mobility and coordination. Read about tools and tips to keep your home safe for toddling little ones.
Bicycle and Wheel Sports Safety
If your child likes to ride on wheels, whether it’s a bike, skateboard or rollerblades, it’s important for him or her to wear the right equipment, starting with proper headgear. Learn some tips about the proper equipment and rules of the road.
Fire and Burn Prevention
Fires and burns are the third leading cause of unintentional death among children ages 1 to 14. Find out how Safe Kids teaches fire safety tips and precautions.
Other Safe Kids Resources
Educational materials for the public and healthcare professionals on safety and injury prevention are distributed throughout New York State. For more information, please visit:
Back to Top