Ovarian Cancer Symptoms and Causes
The Gynecologic Oncology Program at North Shore-LIJ Cancer Institute offers a comprehensive and multidisciplinary approach to the treatment of ovarian cancer. Our medical experts include specialists in a multitude of disciplines such as Gynecologic Oncology, Medical Oncology, Oncology Nursing, Radiation Medicine, Social Work and Genetic Counseling.
Our physicians are full members of Gynecologic Oncology Group (GOG), a National Cancer Institute (NCI)-sponsored organization conducting and coordinating research in cancers of the female reproductive system. Patients will have the opportunity to participate in GOG clinical trials relevant to their particular condition. They are monitored by our research nurses and managers, in addition to their doctors, effectively adding an extra layer of support to the care we provide.
Ovarian cancer is the second most common form of gynecologic cancer but causes the most deaths because it is difficult to detect early. Our Women's Health gynecologic oncologists are at the forefront of research in the early detection of ovarian cancer, providing hope and better outcomes for patients with this disease.
Ovarian cancer affects the ovaries, the two female reproductive organs located on either side of the uterus. It represents 5 percent of all cancers in women.
There are three types of ovarian tumors, named for the tissue in which they are found:
- Epithelial cell cancer begins in the cells that cover the surface of the ovary. Most of these tumors are benign (noncancerous). However, epithelial ovarian cancer accounts for 85 percent to 90 percent of ovarian cancer cases.
- Germ cell cancer begins in the cells that form the eggs in the ovary.
- Stromal cell cancer affects the cells that form the ovary and produce female hormones.
- Laparoscopic and robotically assisted cancer surgery.
- Chemotherapy (intravenous and intraperitoneal).
- Hormone therapy.
- Intensity-Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT), which allows for precise radiation doses to navigate to specific areas within the tumor through three-dimensional imaging.
- Fertility-sparing surgical techniques.
Ovarian Cancer Clinical Trials
The North Shore-LIJ Cancer Institute offers a full array of clinical trials. The result of this research not only impacts survival, but also enhances the quality of life. For more information about clinical trials for Ovarian Cancer, visit Cancer Clinical Trials.
Make an appointment at the Cancer Institute
The North Shore-LIJ Cancer Institute makes it easy for you to take the first steps in ensuring the best cancer care for yourself and your family. Visit for locations of our network of cancer diagnostic and treatment centers and hospitals.
Learn about the meeting times and locations for our support groups.
To learn more about the different types of cancer and treatment options, visit our Cancer Institute.