Cardiovascular and Thoracic Services
At Southside Hospital, our continuum of cardiac care ranges from heart health education and prevention to a full array of cardiac services, including advanced technologies and procedures for non-invasive and invasive testing, intervention and surgical procedures.
Our cardiac team specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of cardiovascular and thoracic diseases, including heart rhythm abnormalities, heart failure, angioplasty, critical care and cardiothoracic surgery.
We strive to build strong relationships with community-based primary care physicians in order to provide the highest quality collaborative care with proven treatment strategies. Our specialists are available at all times for consultations, routine patient visits and urgent care. Also, prompt communication and timely reports detailing findings and treatments are delivered to referring physicians.
State-of-the-Art Facilities and Procedures
Southside Hospital offers state-of-the-art inpatient cardiac services with five catheterization and electrophysiology labs and an efficient system of electronic medical records that allows physicians to access patients’ complete medical history.
Our hybrid operating suites combine conventional operating room capability with advanced endovascular imaging for the most comprehensive treatment. Patients also benefit from our minimally invasive techniques, which allow for quicker recovery and reduced risk of infection.
We are also proud to be the first hospital on Long Island to offer the Lariat procedure to help reduce the risk of stroke in patients with atrial fibrillation.
Services We Offer Include:
- Valve repair and replacement
- Transcatheter aortic valve replacements
- Minimally invasive and robotic surgery
- Monitoring of aortic diseases and valve dysfunction
- Treatment of structural heart disease
- Treatment of congenital heart disease
- Diagnostic and interventional cardiac therapies
- Electrophysiology services
- Echocardiography testing
- Peripheral vascular disease testing
- Heart failure services
- Cardiac rehabilitation
- Prevention and education
Southside Cardiac Care Statistics
- Approximately 300 cardiothoracic surgeries each year
- More than 2,800 catheterizations, including over 750 interventions, performed annually
- Nearly 1,100 electrophysiology procedures annually
- Approximately 7,700 echocardiograms and 1,200 stress tests annually
North Shore-LIJ Health System has been recognized for our superior outcomes for cardiac and thoracic care by the state of New York as well as national performance improvement organizations.
For more information on our cardiac services, call our Department of Cardiology at (631) 968-3293 or the Department of Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery at (631) 968-3525.