Leading the Way in Weight Loss Surgery
- Are you 100 pounds or more over your ideal weight or have a BMI of 35 or greater? Click here to calculate your BMI.
- Does your weight contribute to health problems, such as high blood pressure, diabetes, sleep apnea or heart disease?
- Have you tried to lose weight with supervised diets, medications and exercise regimens—without achieving the results you needed?
If you have answered “yes” to any of these questions, you may be a candidate for bariatric surgery, also known as weight loss surgery.
At North Shore-LIJ, you have options for getting and staying healthy with a lifetime continuum of care including nutrition services through our Center for Weight Management and system wide team of specialists. With the expertise of our bariatric surgeons and the support of our specially trained team, we can help you get healthier.
Interested in learning more? Take the first step and attend an informational seminar on bariatric surgery.
The North Shore-LIJ Health System is the area's leader in bariatric surgery services, including:
- Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy
- Laparoscopic duodenal switch
- Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Band (LAGB)
- Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery
- Open Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery
- StomaphyX procedure
- Single-incision laparoscopic surgery
- ROSE procedure
Our board-certified bariatric surgeons perform more than 50 percent of the weight-loss procedures in the region we serve—about 1,200 surgeries each year. We maintain one of the best records for long-term recovery and effective weight loss. Our comprehensive approach offers:
- Pre-surgery evaluations following the strict patient-qualification guidelines of the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS)
- Your choice of board-certified surgeons and convenient surgery locations throughout Long Island and New York City
- The latest effective techniques, including laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy, laparoscopic duodenal switch and lap-band surgery
- Post-surgical care, including nutritional guidance, exercise, behavioral counseling and support groups
As a result of bariatric surgery, the following conditions have been noted to improve:
- Type 2 diabetes
Weight loss surgery can reverse the signs of diabetes... allowing many patients to quickly reach normal blood-sugar levels while reducing or eliminating their need for insulin or other medications.*
- Endocrine disorders
- Orthopaedic issues
- Cardiovascular problems
- Pulmonary problems (including sleep apnea)
Sign up for an informational seminar on bariatric surgery today at one of our locations in Nassau, Suffolk, Queens, Manhattan, and Staten Island.
Weight loss surgery is a major procedure and may not be right for every candidate. It can be associated with significant risks and complications. It is very important to take a careful and deliberate approach to considering bariatric surgery for the treatment of weight challenges. Discuss all your options with your doctor or surgeon.
*Szabo, L. (2012, March 26). Studies: Weight-loss surgery can put diabetes into remission. USA Today.