Leading the Way in Dental Medicine, Care and Services
The Department of Dental Medicine provides comprehensive services in every area of dentistry, to every segment of the population including infants, children, adolescents, adults and the elderly as well as to the medically, physically and emotionally compromised.
Dental Medicine at Long Island Jewish Medical Center
The Department of Dental Medicine's Faculty Practice of the Long Island Jewish Medical Center offers a unique mix of primary and specialty services to adults and children. There are 12 full and part-time dentists on staff that are available to meet your oral health needs. Faculty Practice operates Monday through Thursday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., and on Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. The facility is conveniently located on the first floor of the Research Building in the Long Island Jewish Medical Center, as well as at the Dental Building at North Shore University Hospital. An appointment can be made at LIJ by calling (516) 562-4525.
In one location, families can have all of their dental needs addressed. Our Steven and Alexandra Cohen Children's Medical Center of New York Pediatric dentists are available for preventive and restorative services for well children. In addition, they serve as a regional referral center for children who have special needs. This includes providing comprehensive care to children with behavioral and/or medical concerns which may require sedation and/or general anesthesia. An appointment can be made by calling (718) 470-3111.
Adults are able to receive comprehensive care and management of their dental needs by our staff of general, restorative and oral surgical doctors and oral pathologists. Our skilled clinicians provide state-of-the-art dental care, including tooth whitening, cosmetic dentistry (aesthetic makeovers), dental implant placement and restoration, as well as routine preventive, oral pathology/medicine and restorative services. Sedation and general anesthesia services are also available. Should you require special services not available at LIJMC, referrals are available to our voluntary staff who have offices throughout our service area.
Dental Medicine at North Shore University Hospital
The Dental Clinic at North Shore University Hospital provides patient services five days a week, Monday through Friday, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. in the new, ultra modern Dental Center located at 400 Community Drive. Emergency services are provided twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week in the new dental emergency operatory located in the Emergency Department. For an appointment, call (516) 562-4525.
Oral-Maxillofacial Surgery Services
Under the direction of Michael Lessin, DDS, Chief, the Division of Oral-Maxillofacial Surgery at Long Island Jewish Medical Center offers the following oral-maxillofacial surgery services:
- Dento-alveolar surgery including removal of impacted and erupted teeth in children and adults
- Deep sedation/general anesthesia for dento-alveolar surgery in appropriate adults and children
- Dental implant placement
- Surgical treatment of pathology (abnormal growths/lesions) in oral cavity and jaw
- Reconstruction of the jaw and bone grafting
- Treatment of injuries to the jaw and facial bones (jaw fractures)
- Surgical treatment of malocclusion and jaw size discrepancies
- Surgical treatment of appropriate temporo-mandibular joint conditions (TMJ)
Oral Pathology Services
The Oral Pathology Division at North Shore-LIJoffers the following services:
- Clinical consultation and diagnosis of oral soft and hard tissue disease (e.g., bony pathology, cysts, tumors and oral cancer)
- Management of oral soft tissue disease (e.g., mucosal disease, lichen planus, pemphigus vulgaris)
- Evaluation and management of diseases of major and minor salivary glands, Sjogren's syndrome, dry mouth
- Pre-radiation/chemotherapy evaluation and management
- Oral pathology biopsy diagnostic service
- Second-opinion evaluation of biopsy specimens
We look forward to helping you meet all of your dental needs.
Ronald P. Burakoff, DMD, MPH
Chairman, Dental Medicine