Leading the Way in Cosmetic, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
Plastic or cosmetic surgery is the surgical specialty or procedure concerned with reducing scarring or disfigurement that may occur as a result of accidents, birth defects, or treatment for diseases. Cosmetic surgery is also used in cases of restoration, construction, reconstruction, or improvement in the form, function, and appearance of body structures that are missing, defective, damaged, or misshapen. Plastic surgery encompasses both reconstructive and aesthetic surgery.
North Shore-Long Island Jewish Health System offers a wide range of cosmetic, plastic and reconstructive surgery procedures for adults and children. Our skilled, board-certified team of plastic surgeons provides care for individuals who require acute trauma care, sophisticated reconstructive surgery or treatment for congenital deformities. In addition, we provide services for those who desire the latest techniques in aesthetic, endoscopic and laser surgery.
Our plastic, cosmetic and reconstructive surgery includes the following subspecialties:
- Craniofacial surgery—This surgery subspecialty deals with congenital (present at birth) and acquired deformities of the skull, face and jaws.
- Microsurgery—This surgery requires a microscope because the structures being operated on are too small for the surgeon to see. Microsurgery is often performed on nerves or the tiniest blood vessels, known as capillaries.
- Pediatric plastic surgery—This type of plastic surgery corrects a wide variety of congenital (present at birth) and acquired conditions.
- General reconstructive surgery—Surgery performed on abnormal structures of the body caused by congenital defects, developmental abnormalities, trauma, infection, tumors or disease. General reconstructive surgery is performed to improve function, as well as to approximate a normal appearance.
- Cosmetic surgery procedures—From Botox® injections and face lifts to breast augmentation, butt lifts and tummy tucks, there are more surgical and nonsurgical options than ever for people who choose to improve their appearance with cosmetic surgery.
In addition to these plastic, cosmetic and reconstructive surgery subspecialties, North Shore-LIJ offers a specialized multi-disciplinary cleft/craniofacial program for the treatment of congenital and traumatic deformities of the face and skull.