John W. Ames, MD, Physician-in-Chief, Department of Radiation Medicine
John W. Ames, MD, is currently the Physician-in-Chief at Southside Hospital in Bay Shore. He has been in practice since 1994, and here on Long Island since 1999. Born and raised in the San Francisco Bay Area, Dr. Ames earned his undergraduate degree in Human Biology at Stanford University. After a brief stint teaching high school math and science and coaching tennis in Southern California, he moved east to engage in medical research at the Clinical Center of the National Institutes of Health. There he studied AIDS, during which time the Human Immunodeficiency Virus was discovered.
He subsequently enrolled at George Washington University School of Medicine where he earned his doctorate of medicine in 1987. After an internship in Medicine at the National Naval Medical Center, Dr. Ames sought specialty training in Undersea and Hyperbaric Medicine and became a Diving Medical Officer providing medical support for the SEAL teams. After serving four years in the US Navy, he completed his residency training at the University of Pennsylvania and the Fox Chase Cancer Center in Philadelphia. Upon completion of his residency, Dr. Ames was recruited as an Assistant Professor of Radiation Oncology at the University of Maryland in Baltimore. He was extensively engaged in the Gamma Knife radiosurgery clinical and research program as well as the radiotherapeutic management of lymphoma. Dr. Ames spearheaded the development of a novel technique for total body radiation.
Dr. Ames remains committed to employing advanced technologies of therapeutic radiation oncology in the care of patients with a variety of malignancies. His practice at Southside Hospital is busy and varied. He offers his patients state-of–the-art technologies including Intensity Modulated Radiotherapy, (IMRT), High Dose Rate Brachytherapy (HDR) for partial breast and GYN malignancy treatments among others.
John W. Ames, MD
Department of Radiation Medicine
George Washington University School of Medicine
University of Pennsylvania
Fox Chase Cancer Center
Board Certification: Radiation Oncology
Dr. Ames' Publications
- Quinnan, G.V.; Masur, H.; Rook, A.H.; Armstrong, G.; Frederick, W.R.; Epstein, J.; Ames, J.W. Herpes virus Infections in the Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome, Journal of the American Medical Association, July 6, 1984, Vol. 252. No. 1
- Macher, A.M.; Kovacs, J.A.; Gill, V.; Roberts, G.D.; Ames, J.W.; Park, C.H.; Straus, S.; Lane, H.C.; Parrillo, J.E.; Fauci, A.S.: Bacteremia Due to Mycobacterium Avium-intracellulare in the Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome, Annals of the Internal Medicine, 1983, 99:782-785.
- Ashamalla, H., Belasco, J., Wehmore, R., Ames, J., Hardy, K., Thom, S.R., Uri, A., Goldwein, J.: Electronic Case of the Month. April 1994. Oncolink: The University of Pennsylvania Cancer Resource [Resource on World Wide-Web] URL: "http://on colink.Upenn.edu:80/pedonc/cotm/apr94/cotm0494a.html".
- Ashamalla, H.; Ames, J.W.; Uri, A.; Winkler, P.: Hyperbaric Oxygen in the Management of Osteoradionecrosis, Proceedings of the Tumor Board of the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia , Medical and Pediatric Oncology Jul;27(1):48-53 , 1996
- Lei, T.; Ames, J., Amin, P., Chen, L., Eisenberg, H., Simard, M., Sewchand, W.: Gamma Knife Annual Calibration Procedures and Results. Brain Trust - Journal of the Leksell Gamma Knife, Vol. 1, No. 2, June 1996.
- Lei, T.; Ames, J. ; Amin, P. ; Chin, L. ; Eisenberg, H. ; Sewchand, W. ; Simard, M.: Image Segmentation in Leksell GammaPlan. Brain Trust- Journal of the Leksell Gamma Knife, Vol. 1, No. 3, August 1996.
- Lei, T.; Ames, J.W.; Amin, P.; Chin, L.; Eisenberg, H.; Sewchand, W.; Simard, M. Geometric Distortion of Digital Angiography Image. Brain Trust - The Journal of The Leksell Gamma Knife Society, Vol. 2, No. 1, February, 1997.
- Aggarwal, S.; Ove, R.; Ames, J.; Sansur, C.; Banegura, A.; Ballesteros, M.; Chin,L. “Gamma Knife Radiosurgery for Metastatic Disease to the Brain from Non-Small Cell Lung Carcinoma” (manuscript submitted for publication, June 1999)
- Haas ML, Kennedy AS, Copeland CC, Ames JW, Scarboro M, Slawson R; Utility of radiation in the prevention of hetertopic ossification following repair of traumatic acetabular fracture. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. Sep 1; 45(2): 461-6, 1999.
- Sansur, C.; Chin, L. ,Ames, J.; Banegura, A.; Aggarwal, S.; Ballesteros, M.; Amin, P.; Simard, J.M., Eisenberg, H. “Gamma Knife Radiosurgery for the Treatment of Brain Metastasis.” Stereotact.Funct.Neurosurg. 74(1):37-51, 2000.
- Farber, L.; Ames, J.; Rush, S.; Gal, D. Laparoscopic Ovarian Transposition to Preserve Ovarian Function Before Pelvic Radiation and Chemotherapy in a Young Patient With Rectal Cancer. Medscape General Medicine. 2005;7(1); http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/498553
Back to Top