Leading the Way in Urology Services
Urology is the branch of medicine that deals with the diagnosis and treatment of disorders of the urinary tract or urogenital system. Urologists are physicians who have specialized knowledge and skill regarding problems of the male and female urinary tract and the male reproductive organs.
The Arthur Smith Institute for Urology, part of North Shore-LIJ Health System’s Center for Advanced Medicine, is dedicated to the treatment of urological disease through innovative surgical procedures, diagnostics and medical care. The full-time staff of urologists represents international leadership in urology. It provides the very best in comprehensive urologic care on Long Island and the New York area, including treatment of:
- Prostate cancer — cancer of the prostate gland
- Bladder cancer — cancer of the lining of the bladder
- Renal cell carcinoma — a type of kidney cancer in the lining of very small tubes (tubules) in the kidney
- Testes cancer — cancer of the testicle
- Interstitial cystitis — a condition of increased bladder sensitivity
- Kidney and ureteral calculi — a hard mass (stone) found in the kidney or the ureter (a narrow tube through which urine drains from the kidney to the bladder)
- Prostatitis — an infection of the prostate gland
- Infectious diseases — urinary tract infections (UTIs) and kidney infections (pyelonephritis)
- Benign prostatic hyperplasia — an enlarged prostate associated with aging
- Incontinence — the inability to control urination
The Arthur Smith Institute for Urology is home to 12 full-time urologists and approximately 18 visiting physicians from various multidisciplinary services. It includes 14 exam rooms, two procedure rooms, one urodynamics suite, a comfortable waiting area and efficient administrative work spaces designed to portray nature’s flow by utilizing soft tones and earthy patterns.
The services of the Smith Institute expand beyond the institute itself to the many hospitals of North Shore-LIJ Health System. Integration with the Arthur Smith Institute for Urology brings the latest in care to your community.