Topical Wound Care Products
Advanced topical wound care products are designed to promote a moist environment, thereby accelerating healing of many difficult-to-treat acute or chronic wounds. Substances that help provide ideal moisture conditions include hydrogels, hydrocolloids, foams, alginates and silver dressings.
- Hydrogels help create or maintain a moist environment. Some provide absorption, desloughing and debriding capacities to necrotic and fibrotic tissue.
- Hydrocolloids are a type of dressing that contains gel-forming agents combined with elastomers and adhesives to form an absorbent, self adhesive, waterproof wafer.
- Foams are highly absorbent dressings in the form of pads, ropes or ribbons that can be added to alginate
- Alginates absorb wound fluid and form a gel-like covering over the wound, maintaining a moist environment.
- Silver dressings have fast-acting, broad-spectrum antimicrobial, silver ion properties. They are widely used to assist with management of infected wounds and those at risk of infection.