Diabetic Wound Care Treatment
Diabetic wound care is used to treat chronic wounds, e.g. those that have not shown any signs of healing within four to six weeks. These wounds are often associated with inadequate blood flow to the wound site. The goal of diabetic wound care is to promote healing and prevent infection.
Key factors in treating a diabetic wound include:
- Preventing or treating the infection
- Taking the pressure off of the wound
- Removing dead tissue and skin
- Applying medication and/or dressings to the wound
- Cleansing the wound on a daily basis