Routine vision screening is important. Many visual impairments or abnormalities are treatable if discovered early with routine vision screening, Left untreated, visual problems can worsen and lead to vision loss and blindness. Children vision screening is one way to detect problems early when they are most treatable.
Regular vision screening can diagnose a variety of eye conditions and disorders in children and adults including:
- Strabismus — a misalignment of the two eyes in adults and child
- Amblyopia — reduced vision in an eye, which may be a secondary symptom of strabismus
- Anisometropia — unequal refractive errors in both eyes. One eye may be more farsighted than the other eye
- Congenital cataracts — a milky film over the lens of the eye that is present at birth
- Refractive errors — including myopia (nearsightedness) and hypermetropia (farsightedness)