Ambulatory Care Services
Comprehensive obstetrical and gynecological services are offered through the ambulatory care units of the North Shore-LIJ Health System.
Patients seen in the ambulatory care units are offered financial counseling services
and assistance in obtaining insurance coverage through Medicaid if needed. There are also a number of patients who are categorized as self-pay and due to their financial situations are offered a lower fee rate.
Full-Service Women’s Health Care
Our ambulatory care units include all the specialized care expected in an OB/GYN practice, with the added benefit of accessibility and affordability as part of the North Shore-LIJ Health System. We emphasize continuity of care, preventive medicine, and patient education.
Ambulatory clinic patients can receive care such as:
- Routine well-woman initial care and follow-up
- Management of menopausal and post-menopausal symptoms
- Management of gynecological problems
- Low-risk/high-risk obstetrics (prenatal care)
- Post-partum care (care after baby is born)
- Pre-conception counseling
- Family planning services
- Other gynecologic procedures such as:
- vulvar, cervical and endometrial biopsies
- loop electrosurgical excisional procedure (LEEP)
- Care of women requiring gynecologic surgery for such problems as:
- uterine fibroids
- ovarian tumors
- uterine prolapse
- urinary incontinence
- Pap smear screening and treatment for abnormal Pap smears
- STD screening and HIV testing
- Pre-surgical evaluation for gynecologic procedures
The Prenatal Care Program formally called the Prenatal Care Assistance Program (PCAP) is funded by the NYS Department of Health and is offered free of charge to those who qualify. Women enrolled in Medicaid are automatically eligible, and most other women in low-income families are able to be enrolled in PCAP. PCAP provides comprehensive prenatal and obstetrical care by a team which includes physicians, nutritionists, nurses, childbirth educators, social workers and genetic counselors. When the baby is born, hospital care is provided as well as postpartum (after delivery) follow-up care.