The American Diabetes Association recognizes our education service as meeting the National Standards for Diabetes Self-Management Education.
Our education program is designed to help you learn everything you need to know about caring for yourself and your baby. The first two sessions are held in a supportive group setting of three to five other women who recently developed gestational diabetes. After the first two classes, follow-up appointments are private.
The Starting Point: What Is Gestational Diabetes?
- Monitoring Your Blood Sugars
- Risk Factors for Mom and Baby
- Nutrition Guidelines, Hints and Tips
Prior arrangements are required for attendance. Please call (516) 622-5155.
The following is a list of things that you will need when you call to make your first appointment:
- A copy of your three-hour glucose tolerance test (GTT) or one-hour 50-gram glucose screen
- Doctor referral, insurance referral or insurance authorization number.
Until you attend the nutrition class, avoid cake, cookies and candy. Stay away from juices, regular soda and sugar-sweetened drinks. Avoid bagels and Chinese food. Include a big salad with lunch and dinner.