Birth Rates Jump at Katz Women’s Hospitals
The 88-bed hospital delivered 5,879 babies last year, an increase of 910 from 2011. Its sister facility, the Katz Women’s Hospital at North Shore University Hospital (NSUH), saw nearly a five percent increase in births in 2012, to 6,343 from 6,050 in 2011. NSUH’s 73-bed Katz Women’s Hospital opened in mid-2011.
“We invested $300 million in the Katz Women’s Hospitals at North Shore and LIJ to ensure that women and their loved ones could enjoy the latest amenities in large, private maternity rooms,” said
Michael Dowling, president and chief executive officer of the North Shore-LIJ Health System. Mr. Dowling added that patient-experience scores measuring the “likelihood to recommend” jumped to the 95th percentile nationally.
Unique features of the Katz Women’s Hospitals include:
- private labor, delivery and recovery rooms;
- single maternity rooms equipped with private bathrooms and showers;
- overnight accommodations for loved ones;
- flat-screen TVs and wireless Internet;
- special single rooms for high-risk mothers;
- well-baby newborn nurseries;
- newborn intensive care units;
- four dedicated operating rooms; and
- stabilization units for immediate response to any emergencies for newborns.
- Furthermore, families can take advantage of comfortable gathering areas on each floor. All spaces incorporate the highest green environmental building standards.
“Our outcomes for both mothers and infants are among the best in the nation,” said Adiel Fleischer,MD, chair of obstetrics/gynecology at North Shore University Hospital and LIJ Medical Center. “We offer the largest range of neonatal services and the best maternal/fetal medicine specialists available. Both Katz Women’s Hospitals are staffed with experienced professionals and advanced tools to handle any situation successfully — whether the mother has a preexistingconditionordevelops a complication, or the newborn requires complex surgery.”