Office of Academic Affairs
The Office of Academic Affairs at North Shore-LIJ Health System offers support services to medical students, residents, fellows and faculty participating in medical education on the health system campuses. The office acts as a resource to facilitate recruitment, retention and advancement of medical professionals across all departments, institutes and centers. Academic Affairs also sponsors educational programs and forums and circulates medical education information.
Services provided by the Office of Academic Affairs include:
- Coordinates the educational committees including the Graduate Medical Education Committee and the Medical Education Executive Committee.
- Serves as a liaison between the Health System and the various accreditation agencies including the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education, the Commission of Dental Medical Education, the American Osteopathic Association and the Council of Podiatric Medical Education as well as many other sub-specialty organizations.
- Serves as a liaison between the Health System and various local, state and federal regulatory agencies overseeing medical education.
- Conducts periodic internal audits for all accredited and independent graduate medical education programs.
- Monitors the annual initial and re-appointment process for house staff throughout the Health System.
- Sponsors a variety of house staff, medical student and faculty education programs.
- Responsible for the development of graduate and undergraduate medical education programs.
- Conducts the Health System's annual House Staff Orientation.
- Facilitates medical student town hall meetings.
- Supports the Health System House Staff Forum.
- Advocates for issues important to the house staff.
Education is the at the foundation of quality healthcare. To that end, North Shore-LIJ offers educational support services to physicians, nurses, healthcare professionals and staff throughout the health system, as well as members of the community.
- Undergraduate Healthcare Education
- Graduate Medical Education
- Doctoral Education
- Continuing Medical Education
Andrew C. Yacht, MD, MSc, FACP
- Vice President of Academic Affairs and Chief Academic Officer
Associate Professor of Medicine and Associate Dean for GME,
Hofstra North Shore-LIJ School of Medicine
- view full profile