Emergency Department at Southside Hospital
The Emergency Medicine Department at Southside Hospital, Bay Shore, Long Island, NY, sees nearly 68,000 patients a year. As a designated tertiary care center, we care for the most complicated cases, as well as routine emergency and urgent care patients. Our facilities are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
Our Emergency Medicine Department provides many advanced programs to ensure that our patients get state-of-the-art care for virtually any illness or injury:
- Stroke center certified by New York state – The Emergency Medicine Department at Southside Hospital has the most advanced training, personnel and equipment to provide state-of-the-art care to patients suffering from ischemic strokes (the most common type) and hemorrhagic strokes. Receiving expert treatment for strokes can mean the difference between life and death.
- Southside Hospital is one of 11 hospitals in North Shore-LIJ Health System to receive the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association’s Get With The Guidelines®-Stroke Quality Achievement Awards. The awards recognize the hospitals' commitment and successes in implementing a higher standard of stroke care to ensure that stroke patients receive treatment in accordance with the latest evidence-based guidelines.
- Emergency PCI techniques for treating heart attacks – We have the latest technology and the necessary personnel 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, to immediately open blocked heart arteries in the event that a patient is having a heart attack. The procedure is called emergency percutaneous angioplasty (PCI, or percutaneous coronary intervention) and is available only at a few, select hospitals in our area. This technique is acknowledged as the optimal way to treat heart attacks as they occur.
- Open heart surgery center – This advanced surgical capability allows us to care for most critically ill and injured cardiac and chest patients without the need for time-consuming transfer of patients to other facilities.
- Area trauma center – We are designated to care for traumatic injuries that are brought to us by the various county emergency responders.
- Level II trauma center – This designation means that Southside Hospital's Emergency Medicine Department has physician specialists, including neurosurgeons, pulmonologists, intensivists, trauma surgeons, anesthesiologists and orthopaedists on call 24/7 to provide immediate state-of-the-art care to all trauma patients, including those involved in serious accidents. Other features of a Level II trauma center are the presence of an in-house lab, as well advanced life support immediately available on air, 911 and long-distance transport.
- Separate pediatric emergency unit – Staffed by attending physicians, this separate area provides a pleasant child-friendly environment to treat our pediatric patients with the specialized care they deserve. The eight-bed facility has its own entrance and intake area and is open daily from 1 p.m. to 11 p.m. Pediatric patients are welcomed at all other times and are seen in our main treatment area or our Fast Track area.
- Separate fast track area – The fast track area at Southside Hospital's Emergency Medicine Department allows patients with minor illnesses or injuries to be treated rapidly with high-quality care in an environment appropriate to the severity of their illness. Open daily from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m., our seven-bed unit is staffed by attending emergency medicine physicians and physician extenders.