Acute care & trauma surgery
The experienced acute care and trauma surgeons at North Shore-LIJ Health System collaborate with a multidisciplinary team to provide world-class care for life-threatening injuries, critical illnesses and routine surgery. Our acute care surgery is a combination of trauma surgery, surgical critical care and emergency general surgery.
Trauma surgery involves treating patients who have sustained an injury due to external force. The most common injuries treated at North Shore-LIJ are falls and motor vehicle accidents.
Critical care surgery deals with the preoperative and postoperative care of surgical patients that have acutely life-threatening conditions caused by injury or illness. Critical care surgeons are trained in all aspects of care of the critically ill surgical patient.
- Emergency general surgery involves the evaluation, resuscitation and operative care for patients experiencing an acute general surgical problem. Our emergency general surgery staff cares for patients who arrive in the emergency room with acute general surgery conditions including appendicitis, cholecystititis, hernias and intra-abdominal emergencies.
Patients depend on North Shore-LIJ’s acute care and trauma surgery services for:
Many of our acute care and trauma surgeons have completed advanced training through our Critical Care Surgery Fellowship Program. They are highly skilled in the latest surgical procedures for acute conditions due to:
- Trauma caused by injuries from motor vehicle accidents and falls.
- Acute critical illnesses or injuries that require evaluation, resuscitation, stabilization and surgery.
- Appendicitis, gallbladder inflammation, hernias, bowel obstructions and other conditions that may require emergency general surgery.
Our experienced team of surgeons, anesthesiologists, diagnosticians and nurses represents the region's foremost acute care and trauma surgery specialists.
Our acute care and trauma surgery services are supported by the extensive clinical, research and physician training resources of the award-winning North Shore-LIJ Health System.
Our acute care and trauma surgery services are available at 12 of our medical centers and hospitals in Long Island, Queens, Manhattan and Staten Island.
Gene Francis Coppa, MD
- SVP of Surgical Services
- Chairman of Surgery - Division of General Surgery, Long Island Jewish Medical Center
- Chairman of Surgery - Division of General Surgery, North Shore University Hospital
- Professor, Hofstra North Shore-LIJ School of Medicine
- view full profile