Bariatric surgery offers an effective approach to help patients eat less, lose excess weight, and regain their health by limiting the stomach’s capacity. 90% of people who have bariatric surgery lose at least 50% of their excess body weight. Some of the other changes experienced are:
- A decreased risk for heart disease, diabetes, kidney disease, high blood pressure, arthritis and other serious medical problems
- The reduction or possible elimination of medications for people with high blood pressure or diabetes
- Normal periods for young women with abnormal or absent cycles
- Improved sexual function for many males
- Possible diminishing of sleep apnea episodes
- Eliminated or slowed effects of arthritis
- Increased self-esteem and energy
According to a recent study, “Weight loss surgery can reverse the signs of diabetes... allowing many patients to quickly reach normal blood-sugar levels while reducing or eliminating their need for insulin or other medications.”*
For many individuals who are morbidly obese, bariatric surgery is the only viable method for successful weight control.
*Szabo, L. (2012, March 26). Studies: Weight-loss surgery can put diabetes into remission. USA Today.
The bariatric surgeons at North Shore-LIJ provide the complete spectrum of bariatric services to thousands of people every year, from diagnosis and surgical treatment to patient and family support. Our board-certified bariatric surgeons perform more than 50 percent of the weight-loss procedures in the region we serve – with one of the best records for long-term recovery and effective weight loss. North Shore-LIJ’s team of expert bariatric surgeons can help you enjoy a healthier, more active, and longer life. That’s because our approach to bariatric surgery is totally comprehensive. It includes:
- Pre-surgery evaluations following the strict patient-qualification guidelines of the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS)
- Your choice of board-certified surgeons and convenient surgery locations throughout Long Island and New York City
- The latest effective techniques, including laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy, laparoscopic duodenal switch and lap-band surgery
- Post-surgical care, including diet and exercise counseling, behavioral counseling and support groups
- A lifetime continuum of care that includes nutrition services through our Center for Weight Management and North Shore-LIJ’s vast team of specialists
North Shore-LIJ uses the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS) patient-qualification guidelines to make sure you’re an ideal candidate for weight loss surgery. We know bariatric surgery is a major procedure that might not be ideal for each patient, and we work hard to let you know all your options.
Weight loss surgery is a major procedure and may not be right for every candidate. It can be associated with significant risks and complications. It is very important to take a careful and deliberate approach to considering bariatric surgery for the treatment of weight challenges. Discuss all your options with your doctor or surgeon.
- Are 100 pounds or more over their ideal weight or have a BMI of 35 or greater
- Have weight-related health problems, such as high blood pressure, diabetes, sleep apnea or heart disease
- Have tried unsuccessfully to lose weight with supervised diets, medications and exercise regimens
Some questions to ask yourself when considering bariatric surgery:
- Have I tried every nonsurgical measure?
- Am I well informed about the available surgical procedures and the effects of treatment?
- Am I determined to lose weight and improve my health?
- Can I maintain a lifelong commitment to medical follow-up and vitamin/ mineral supplementation?
Interested in learning more? Take the first step and attend an informational seminar on bariatric surgery.