Behavioral Health College Partnership
The North Shore-LIJ Health System’s Behavioral Health College Partnership (BHCP) is a unique community service program that works with undergraduate and graduate college/university students affected by acute mental health issues to access evidence-based behavioral health services. BHCP provides state-of-the-art evaluation and evidence-based treatment for psychiatric crises and aftermath, as well as diverse challenges ranging from adjustment problems to major disorders emerging during the transition to college life.
Pre-existing relationships with many schools and knowledge of their practices allows BHCP to offer specialty consultation services to students regarding common concerns related to academic status, school absences and school re-entry processes. These liaison services allow the patient and their family to concentrate the treatment, experience more seamless transitions in treatment care, and less disruption in the academic cycle.
Watch our overview video to learn more:
North Shore-LIJ Behavioral Health College Partnership
The North Shore-LIJ Behavioral Health College Partnership is a unique community service program that works with undergraduate and graduate college/university students affected by acute mental health issues to access evidence-based behavioral health services.
Key program elements
- Emergency transport and assessment for college students
- Discreet and sensitive North-Shore – LIJ Center for Emergency Medical Services (CEMS) ambulance transport 24/7 with psychiatric and college expertise
- Specialized psychiatric emergency assessment of college students at the Long Island Jewish Medical Center Emergency Department that emphasizes efficiency and family and school input
- State-of-art Young Adult Inpatient Unit for young adults in the Behavioral Health Pavilion at Zucker Hillside Hospital specializing the college population
- Standardized diagnostics and evidence-based therapies
- Specialized groups focusing on college student related concerns
- Academic consultation services from BHCP personnel
- Comprehensive aftercare treatment plans with BHCP outpatient program introduction and verbal handoffs between providers to prevent relapse
- Post-hospitalization outpatient services for college students
- Dedicated staff with expertise working with college students
- Evidence-based individual and group psychotherapies
- Medication management consistant with successful inpatient treatment
- Emphasis on family centered care