Hammer toe correction
Hammer toe correction can increase the movement of the toes, reduce pain and prevent calluses from forming on the sole of the foot.
Mild hammer toe in children may be treated by manipulating and splinting the affected toe. For adults, the following changes in footwear may help relieve symptoms:
- Wear the right size shoes or shoes with wide toe boxes for comfort
- Avoid high heels as much as possible
- Wear soft insoles to relive pressure on the toe
- Protect the joint that is sticking out with corn pads or felt pads
- Hammer toe regulators or straighteners can help
For severe hammer toe, surgery may be required to cut or move tendons and ligaments or to fuse the bones on each side of the affected joint.