Nutritional counseling and diabetes
Nutritional counseling is important after being diagnosed with diabetes. It is vital that each patient understands the role he/she plays in staying healthy and controlling diabetes complications through proper nutrition, diet and healthy eating habits.
With diabetes, the goal of treatment is to maintain consistent, normal blood sugar levels as often as possible. Nutritional counseling helps to accurately control blood sugar (blood glucose) through education in areas such as:
- Careful meal planning
- Understanding and identifying healthy foods
- Reading and interpreting nutritional data
- Tracking food consumption
- Exercise and weight control (particularly in cases of type 2 diabetes)
- Recognizing triggers for eating
- Importance of hydration
- Dietary supplements
The benefits of nutritional counseling include reduced symptoms, improved sleep quality, tighter control of blood sugar levels, more energy, improved moods and more.