Robotic surgery allows patients to experience less invasive surgical procedures — procedures that were once only possible with more traditional open surgery. The goal of North Shore-LIJ’s team of robotic surgeons and their supporting network of health care professionals is to continuously strive to reduce our patients' stay in the hospital, as well as to minimize the pain and scarring associated with surgery and facilitate faster recovery, a quicker return to normal activities and improved functional outcomes.
Robotic surgery reduces the surgeon's movements, which in turn reduces hand movements or tremors that might otherwise make the surgery less precise. Robotic instruments can also access hard-to-reach areas of the body more easily through smaller surgical cuts.
In comparison to traditional open surgical procedures, the da Vinci® robotic surgery system results in exceptional benefits for patients, including:
- Tiny one-centimeter incisions instead of one large incision
- Fewer major post-op complications
- Optimal recovery
- Quick return to normal diet
- Reduced appearance of scarring
- Low blood loss
- Shorter length of stay in hospital
- Faster return to normal daily activities
- Fewer complications
- Less pain than an open surgery
The Most Advanced Robotic Surgery Platform in the World
The da Vinci® robotic surgery platform consists of two key components:
- The surgeon's console, where the surgeon sits and controls the robot, and
- The patient-side cart, where four robotic arms are connected to various surgical instruments that will come in contact with the patient
Sitting at the main console of the state-of-the-art da Vinci® robotic surgery platform, your da Vinci® surgeon sees vital anatomical structures with 3-D high-definition clarity magnified six times their normal size. This enhanced clarity of vision sets the stage for a more precise robotic surgery procedure.
The surgeon uses master controls to guide the delicate actions of the robotic surgical instruments. One of the major advantages of the da Vinci® surgery system is the tremendous range of motion of the robotic EndoWrist® instruments. They are designed with seven degrees of motion that mimic the motions of the human hand and wrist.
Da Vinci® robotic surgery essentially eliminates tremor, and maximizes dexterity, precision and control.