Residency in General Surgery at North Shore-LIJ Health System
Thank you for your interest in the General Surgery Residency at Hofstra North Shore-LIJ. The “Core Missions” of the Department of Surgery are consistent with those of the North Shore-LIJ Heath System and include: optimal patient care and outstanding medical education. We strive to produce outstanding surgeons who are lifelong learners and leaders in a constantly advancing field.
Our residents have the opportunity to take advantage of the third largest secular health care system in the country. The system is a leader in health care quality initiatives as evidenced by receiving the National Quality Forum Award of Excellence in 2010. Emphasis is placed on learning and growth through its one-of-a-kind Center for Learning and Innovation that includes a simulation center. One of the unique features of NSLIJ is a free standing Research Institute that houses surgical research programs that rival the best in the country.
The birth of the new Hofstra North Shore-LIJ School of Medicine completes our evolution to an academic university surgical program. The inaugural class for the medical school began in 2011.
The close association among the Department of Surgery, the Feinstein Institute for Medical Research, and Hofstra University represents an academic/research/clinical triad unique in the area.
This website provides you with a general overview of our training program. We invite you to come and visit us to see what a dynamic and progressive institution, department, and training program we offer.
Applicants interested in the general surgery training program at North Shore-LIJ Health System must apply through the electronic residency application service (ERAS), which starts accepting application son Sept. 1.
No applications will be accepted after Nov. 30.
USMLE scores for all applicants must be 205 or more for both Step 1 and Step 2 CK and a pass score for Step 2 CS.
Essential application information includes:
- common application form
- Curriculum Vitae
- USMLE or COMLEX transcript
- Medical school transcript
- A personal statement
- Dean’s letter
- Three (3) letters of recommendation, no older than six (6) months
- One of the three must be from your program director, chairman or professor. All letters must be on official letterhead.
- ECFMG Status Report, if applicable
- ABSITE score(s), required for each year if you currently participate or have completed any time in a U.S. accredited surgical residency program.
Jeffrey Michael Nicastro, MD
- Chief of Division - Acute Care Surgery of Surgery - Division of General Surgery, Long Island Jewish Medical Center
- Vice Chairman of Surgery - Division of General Surgery, Long Island Jewish Medical Center
- Chief of Division - Acute Care Surgery of Surgery - Division of General Surgery, North Shore University Hospital
- Vice Chairman of Surgery - Division of General Surgery, North Shore University Hospital
- Associate Professor, Hofstra North Shore-LIJ School of Medicine
- view full profile